Sunday, September 1, 2013

U.S. Open--what they said

I think this year has been a pretty good year for me. I'm going to try to end it with a bang.
Sloane Stephens

I just pumped my fist, I was down, and then I walked to the net.
To the box, when you pirouetted.
Well because I kept kind of falling over my pirouette, so I was trying to get the right semi half circle. I couldn't quite get it right. I think I was just off balance on that one.
Serena Williams

People seem to want Serena to mentor Sloane Stephens. She's spent her whole life trying to beat her sister--do you think she's going to mentor someone outside the family?
Mary Carillo

What did you have for breakfast?--because that's the most amazing match I've seen you play in a while.
You really want to know?
Yes.
I'm not going to tell you.
Li Na

Are you interested in watching this match again? Would you watch a replay of this match to pick up something? Once the match is over, do you move on?
I definitely will watch it again. When I'm sitting at home in the off season and I don't have anything to do I watch tennis on my computer. It's kind of boring. It's something to do. You learn the most from your losses, so I'll definitely watch it again.
Sloane Stephens
 
I didn't listen to my husband at all, no mater what he say.
Li Na

6 comments:

sunny nine said...

We really had a good laugh over Carillo's remark regarding the mentor situation w/ Stephens and Williams.:D

Eric said...

I love Mary Carillo.

Seriously...it's a professional sport...based on competition and winning and losing. Serena's a great competitor...you can't have it both ways. And it's unfair to hold her, or anyone else, to that standard.

Mardy Fish also said that he had a hard time mentoring Ryan Harrison...where's the backlash there?

Andy Roddick is an exception, not the rule.

Diane said...

I agree, Eric. And once again, I think women are held to a different standard. Men are supposed to be "competitive" and women are supposed to be "helpful." Those beliefs are so ingrained in the culture that people don't even realize they're promoting them when they do. It was refreshing to hear Carillo say that.

The whole Sloane/Serena thing will finally go away, I guess, if Sloane can keep her mouth shut about it.

Karen said...

I hope when Sloane says she wants to end the year with a bang, she means actually showing up for the WTA events & actually making it to a final. Now that would be a sight to behold.

Diane said...

Karen, don't you think the USA writers/commentators are giving her a bit of a pass with regard to that? And while some players really do tend to shine at really big events, those players are not also being referred to as the "next big thing."

I don't think they can have it both ways. Stephens needs to get to a final, at the very least.

Anonymous said...

What are the odds that all but one (Schiavone) of the rising tide of Italian women would be drawn in the bottom half, where they'd get to knock one another out. And yes, no American had to face any other in the opening round. The USTA is under pressure to produce. Perhaps they can nudge the draw to help the American women. This is the fourth year that this has gone on.