Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Passing shots

It's definite: Serena Williams will not play mixed doubles at the Olympic Games. Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymond will represent USA women's tennis in that event.

Li Na has hired Carlos Rodriguez as her coach on a trial basis. Rodriguez, of course, coached seven-time major champion Justine Henin throughout her career.

France lost the bid to host the Olympic Games this year, but is considering a bid to host the Games in 2024.

Here is a feature on EleVen.

You can now get to know Ekaterina Makarova.

Not tennis-related, but please consider directing people to the Sleep In for Farm Animals event I'm supporting. The banner is on the right, directly under the photo of the lovely Velma contemplating her Wilson racquet.

6 comments:

Todd.Spiker said...

The whole Li/Rodriguez thing is either earth-shakingly brilliant... or craaaaaaaaaaaazy.

Diane said...

I vote for no. 2 :)

Sunny nine said...

Ok on the last part Diane.

Diane said...

Sunny, I lost your email address, so I'm taking this opportunity to thank you and your husband very much for your help with the Farm Sanctuary project.

Ah, Li Na--what next?

Todd.Spiker said...

You know what, I think I was thinking "Ricardo Sanchez" on the "Carlos Rodriguez" thing with Li Na. With him, it might not work, either, but it's not quite the insane-in-the-membrane combo that I was initially thinking.

Of course, Li and Henin ARE very different personalities, so who knows.

Diane said...

For me, either one of them coaching Na brings up images of craziness. I think she and Sanchez would actually be fun, from a fan standpoint (maybe for Li, too). Don't even get me started on Rodriguez.