Thursday, September 1, 2011

U.S. Open--what they said

She just came out and, I think, played a perfect match. She was just moving so well.
Marion Bartoli, on her defeat by Christina McHale

Where in a Grand Slam fortnight do you generally find that you really hit your stride?
Hard to say, but usually I'm there by the fourth round.  That's where I really pick it up.  In any tournament, like starting the quarterfinals, that's where I feel like I'm really picking up the level of my game.
Vera Zvonareva

I was really looking forward to the match.  I love those big matches and playing against Venus.  We had two amazing matches the last two meetings.  I was really looking forward to it....
Sabine Lisicki

Wouldn't it be nice to see 2004 champion Svetlana Kuznetsova show up at a big tournament this year and show off her former slam-winning stuff?
Matt Cronin

...I just knew how to always be on my toes and ready to react to her shots because she takes the ball really early....I started anticipating better as the match went on....
Christina McHale

She played a very solid match, and she has some big weapons. She started getting on top there in the second set, but in that one long game, I think as a returner, there was less pressure on me, so I just tried not to make too many silly mistakes.
Samantha Stosur

In kindergarten I sang “Peanut Butter Jelly” in a talent show and I was amazing.
Sloane Stephens

4 comments:

Todd Spiker said...

I really enjoyed listening to Stephens' on-court interview (Falconi's was nice, too) after her match the other day, and that quote only makes me want to hear more. :)

Diane said...

She can be entertaining--but only when she speaks. Enter her Twitter page at your own risk :)

Anonymous said...

To Todd, Sloane gave a charming, expressive interview after her first win - http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2011-08-30/201108311314798643919.html?promo=relatedcontent

I saw her at a challenger a few years ago. A bit moody on court, rolling her eyes at her mom/coach sitting in the stands (you could just tell they were mom-daughter by the connection).

Hope she has a great career, without the negative personality changes that can come from being a star.

Diane said...

I saw her "on the bench" at Fed Cup last year. She had a lot of fans who wanted to talk with her, and she looked like she was having a lot of fun. She was actually the "substitute" substitute because another player--McHale, I think--was not able to be there.