Monday, February 28, 2011

Dokic upsets Schiavone at Malaysian Open

Very recently, world number 5 Francesca Schiavone told the tennis media that she probably needed to take some time off but felt that she couldn't. She entered the Malaysian Open as a wild card and became the top seed, but she lost today in the first round to Jelena Dokic. There was a rain delay in the match, and, in the third set, Schiavone injured her ankle. She said, after the match, that perhaps she made the injury worse by continuing to play, but she didn't want to retire.

Now the Italian star will probably get some time off. Dokic's 2-6, 7-6, 6-4 win included fifteen double faults, three of which were made consecutively. She also managed to hit eight aces (Schiavone hit eleven).

Marion Bartoli is seeded 2nd in Kuala Lumpur. The draw also includees Alisa Kleybanova, Jarmila Groth, Bojanai Jovanovski, Lucie Safarova, Kimiko Date Krumm, and Dinara Safina.

2 comments:

Ashley Clements said...

Dear Diane



My name is Ashley Clements and I am currently in my third year at the University of Brighton studying Sport Journalism. I am doing a piece on British females in tennis and looking into why Great Britain haven't currently got a female champion or a female in the top ten in the world. I was wondering if you would be able to answer a few questions for me to aid my research. Your knowledge and experience would be very valuable to my work.



Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.



Yours sincerely



Ashley Clements

Diane said...

Send me an email, Ashley, and I'll gladly answer the questions, but I'm hardly an expert on British tennis :)