Friday, October 22, 2010

Semifinal draws set in Moscow & Luxembourg

Two Russian players remain in the draw in Moscow, and they will play against each other in the semifinals. 6th seed Maria Kirilenko, who defeated qualifier Zarina Diyas in the quarterfinals, will play Vera Dushevina, who defeated countrywoman Anna Chakvetadze.

In the other semifinal match, 8th seed Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez--who appears to be back in her groove following an injury layoff--will play 2nd seed Victoria Azarenka. Martinez Sanchez defeated Dominika Cibulkova today, and Azarenka defeated 7th seed (and also Russian) Alisa Kleybanova.

Kirilenko and Azarenko, seeded 4th in doubles, were beaten today by number 1 seeds Gisela Dulko and Flavia Pennetta. Martinez Sanchez, playing with Sara Errani in Moscow, defeated Akgul Amanmuradova and Darya Kustova. Errani and Martinez Sanchez are seeded 3rd.

In Luxembourg, 8th seed Julia Goerges--who has been getting some good results lately--upset 4th seed Ana Ivanovic 6-3, 6-1 in the quarterfinals. She will play Angelique Kerber in the semifinals; Kerber defeated Polona Hercog. In the second semifinal, Anne Keothavong will play Roberta Vinci. Keothavong defeated Iveta Benesova 6-7, 6-2, 6-4. Keothavong hit seven aces. Vinci defeated Kirsten Flipkens.

Benesova and partner Barbora Zahlavova Strycova, who are seeded 1st, have already reached the final. The second semifinal will be played tomorrow.

4 comments:

Sunny nine said...

I was happy to see Kirilenko win her semifinal. She has had good results this, no title, but making some noise. For that, I would like her to win for once.

Overhead Spin said...

Sunny, I really wish she would stop making the noise she makes and just play tennis. She sounds horrible.

I don't know but I have not seen anything in her game which tells me that she may be a contender. Just normal bread and butter strokes and no really thoughtful game plan when she is playing. Pity.

Anonymous said...

Tennis Ace,

Kirilenko is actually known as one of the more thoughtful of the players, since she doesn't have a lot of power...though what I recall is from several years ago though I have seen her outsmart people nowadays too -- she approaches the net fairly often and chips and dices when she needs to. I think sometimes she has these random losses because she gets a little too...cute, I guess

Diane said...

I really enjoy watching Kirilenko play; I think she has a rather elegant game, with plenty of variety. I liked it so much--that time she beat Sharapova--and she put her finger to her lips as if to say "don't get excited yet--I'm just taking care of business."