Saturday, September 12, 2009

U.S. Open--what they said

"I'm still in shock."
Kim Clijsters, on winning the match when her opponent received a point penalty at match point

"...I didn't think I would get a point penalty. I don't think about it. So, you know, I've been more positive on the court lately."
Serena Williams

"I think two night matches has really helped me. I mean, it's the world's biggest stadium we're going into, and it's different. But now I've tried it twice this year and I won two times. I won it one time against Melanie where the whole crowd was behind her. So I think I got some experience there, and hopefully that can help me tomorrow."
Caroline Wozniacki

"She said she was sorry."
Serena Williams, reporting what Kim Clijsters told her during the handshake

"Some of my best practice sessions have been with her."
Kim Clijsters, speaking of Ai Sugiyama

Do you think the lineswoman deserves an apology?
"An apology for?"
From you.
"From me?"
For the yelling and what you said.
"Well, how many people yell at linespeople? So I think, you know, if you look at--I don't know. All the people that, you know, kind of yell at linespeople, I think it's--kind of comes sometimes. Players, athletes get frustrated. I don't know how many times I've seen that happen."
Serena Williams

No comments: