Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mauresmo and Schnyder advance in Madrid

As readers of this blog know, Amelie Mauresmo and Patty Schnyder are two of my favorite players, so it was nice to see them both win their matches in Madrid today and advance to the quarterfinal round. The Schnyder match against Nadia Petrova was not televised where I live, but I did get to see Mauresmo play Elena Dementieva. After the first set, Mauresmo appeared to be in 2006 form.

Both wins were upsets. Mauresmo--unseeded--defeated the 3rd seed, and Schnyder--also unseeded--defeated the number 8 seed. (It feels strange to refer to both Mauresmo and Schnyder as unseeded.)

These were not the upsets. 6th seed Svetlana Kuznetsova was defeated in straight sets by Alona Bondarenko, and in doubles, number 2 seeds Anabel Medina Garrigues and Virginia Ruano Pascual were defeated by Chuang Chia-Jung and Sania Mirza.

2 comments:

leia said...

Jelena Jankovic will play Patty in the quarters. I like them both so I hope it's a quality match.

I remember you saying once that you dislike it when your favorites play against each other, I imagine JJ vs Patty is not that much fun for you...

Diane said...

No--it isn't much fun, Leia. At least I'll be pleased for the winner :)