Thursday, April 23, 2009

Fed Cup news

Fed Cup semifinals and play-offs take place all over the world this weekend. In the semifinals, Italy will play defending champion Russia, and the USA will play the Czech Republic. Vera Zvonareva, however, is no longer on the Russian team because of the injury she sustained in Charleston last week.

The Chinese team has lost Li Na, who is continuing to have problems with her knee. She has been replaced by Peng Shuai in China's play-off against Germany.

Making her first Fed Cup appearance this weekend is Michelle Larcher de Brito. Bethanie Mattek-Sands will also be making her first appearance for the USA.

Italy will have both the home court and the clay court advantage in the semifinal against Russia. The Czech Republic vs. USA semifinal will take place in the Czech Republic on an indoor hard court.

10 comments:

Laura said...

I think Russia and the USA will be too strong for Italy and the Czech Republic. Just too many big guns. It will be interesting to see how Bethanie Mattek-Sands does.

Diane said...

I wish I could watch the Italy-Russia matches, but they won't be shown here. But I will get to watch the other semifinal. I assume Mattek-Sands will play doubles with Huber. If Oudin continues her form from Charleston, she should do very well.

Roi said...

I dont have a lot to say about Fed Cup, ive never seen a match of it. I just couldnt wait a bit longer to post with my brand new blogger account!!! YEAH!!!

... oh yes, this is RoƱoso by the way.

David said...

I disagree with laura, I can't see the USA beating the czechs on indoor hard, in the czech republic with that team...
benesova, kvitova and safarova are all great singles players and all have some kind of form at the moment (I may be bias given I am a huge safarova fan, however)

The only place I see the USA as stronger is in the doubles, but not by much, as peschke-benesova make a great team

David said...

Just noticed Kvitova is out, so zakapalova is in
I still see the czechs as too strong, however benesova has never performed all that well in fed cup, so we will see

David said...

Oh no, disregard my last post! kvitova has proven fitness so she is in!

Diane said...

Hi Ronoso! Glad you have an account.

I'm not sure about what will happen in this Fed Cup semifinal. Kvitova and Safarova are both capable of doing some damage--especially Safarova. But Lucie runs so hot and cold. If she has a good day, she can beat anyone, but you never know when she's going t have a good day.

After Charleston, I am very impressed with Oudin.

Anonymous said...

Diane,

Do you know if Gisela Dulko is injured? She's not in Argentina's lineup for their WG Playoff -- AT HOME! -- this weekend.

Mel

Diane said...

Mel, I did some checking, and--this is not anything official--but my understanding is that Gisela is not injured, but just wants to concentrate on her training right now, so she is skipping Fed Cup. If I learn anything different, I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

Too bad. They could've used her. Mel