Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Family Circle Cup, day 2--in and around the grounds

Sania Mirza's mother watches her match

Dominika Cibulkova signs autographs

Today was cool with just a few sprinkles of rain, kind of like yesterday. We spoke briefly with Dominika Cibulkova, who signed a photo for us, and we also had a photo signed by Patty Schnyder, who was in a good mood and ready to chat.

I watched Nadia Petrova practice for a while, and I also watched Alona Bondarenko practice, as well as a few others. Between the day and night matches, I went to the lawn bar, but didn't bother to take my camera with me when I went to buy a drink. Behind the bar was Sabine Lisicki, and she even relieved the pianist for a few moments and played for us.

Julius Irving was on the grounds today, watching his daughter, Alex Stevenson, play a match against Akgul Amanmuradova, which Stevenson lost. It was the first time Irving had ever seen his daughter play.

Tennis outfit of the day: Dominika Cibulkova, in a simple orange and white Lacoste ensemble.

2 comments:

ken said...

What do you think of Petrova wearing Ellesse now? (Not sure how long it has been.) I was pleased to see the brand back on a major player but the outfit (the one I saw on internet pics anyway) looked a little McDonalds-esque.

Diane said...

Her outfit for the second round left something to be desired, but I've seen Petrova do worse. I hope she is in a somewhat different Ellesse ensemble for her next round. I, too, was pleased to see her wearing Ellesse.