Monday, March 30, 2009

Miscellany

This morning, Tennis Channel showed the 1996 Fed Cup final between Spain and the U.S., contested by Conchita Martinez and Monica Seles. I didn't get to see all of it, but what I saw was dazzling. I'm sure Tennis Channel will show it again, probably several times, and it is well worth a look. I hope I get to see all of it because there was some great shot-making going on.

Speaking of Tennis Channel, Steve Flink says that Kim Clijsters' return to the tour is a very good thing, and that she will move upward quickly. He also says that she was never a "dynamic competitor," so I guess I saw things he didn't see. Another person who says Clijsters can rise quickly is former rival Justine Henin.

And speaking of Clijsters--those in charge of the tournament in Sydney are campaigning to get Aussie Kim as a 2010 entrant.

Steve Tignor compliments Alexa Glatch on her lovely shot-making. "Glatch's game is more than just utilitarian; it has personality, and it was a breath of fresh air to watch."

There was a really nice 25k tournament less than half an hour from my house this past week, and I missed it. I always manage to miss it; this year, I wasn't even aware it was taking place. Anyway, Kristie Ahn, whom I enjoyed watching at the 2008 U.S. Open, received a wild card into the tournament and won it. The tournament had a good field, including Kimiko Date-Krumm, who lost in the quarterfinals to Lindsay Lee-Waters.

No comments: