Thursday, August 2, 2007

I love it when my favorites win, and hate it when they lose

I experienced both feelings tonight, when Patty Schnyder defeated Martina Hingis, 6-1, 6-7, 6-3 in San Diego. I was thrilled for Schnyder--she really needed this win. But I was disappointed to see Hingis go out. It is only her first tournament back from weeks of either playing injured or recovering from her injury, so perhaps she will do better in her next tournament. Had the score been the other way around, I would have had the same mixed feelings. And it was obvious--after the first set--that quite a battle ensued, with numerous breaks of serve. Hingis had a high first serve percentage, but not a high first serve success percentage. Her serve remains her biggest obstacle.

Hingis and Schnyder have played each other twice this year, and Schnyder has won both matches.

No comments: